Hutton Roof and Newbiggin

Between the Lakes and the Dales


Location in GB
Fell Race
Country Fair
Past Events
Future Events
Local Producers
This site is provided and maintained by Hutton Roof Village Hall
Weslyan Chapel

Hutton Roof Wesleyan chapel dates to 1850.

The current St Johns Church (Paley and Austin)was built in 1881 on the site of an earlier church.

Chapel Date stone

There is an ancient stone circle marked as a Settlement on the OS map. It lies next to the bridleway to Sealford where it meets Gallowber Lane.

It is thought that a Roman Road passed through the village connecting forts at Burrow and Watercrook.

The Burton, Dalton and Holme enclosure act of 1818 resulted in much of the common land being taken into private ownership and miles of dry stone walls were built. Hutton Roof Crags and Burton Fell remain common land.

5 quarries were once extracting stone from Hutton Roof, including Red Sandstone, Yellow Sandstone and stone used around the world for grinding.

The Manchester Corporation Water Supply pipeline passes through Hutton Roof on its way from Thirlmere to Manchester. The Navvies stayed in the village for some time while the work was on going.


A stone dated 1773 from the original endowed school can be seen in the wall of the old school field. (The triangular field at the Sealford Lane crossroads). The surviving school building is next to the church.

School Date Stone
All content and images © Hutton Roof Village Hall 2006 - 2016 unless otherwise stated